What to do when...

Rubbish Collection

Auckland council has an excellent resource page on rubbish and recycling you can read here. It provides all the information you need on:

  • what you can put in your rubbish or recycle bin;
  • public holiday collections,
  • bin requests;
  • what to do with hazardous waste, and more.

​​Reporting illegally dumped rubbish

If you see dumped rubbish on public property, call Council on 0800 NO DUMP (0800 663 867) before someone else adds to the pile. ​This is a 24 hour / seven day service.

​Council doesn't remove dumped rubbish on private property. The owner of the property is responsible for the disposal of rubbish dumped on their property.

Any rubbish dumped at the “old 3 Guys” site, owned by Panuku Developments, should also be reported in this way. Typically the rubbish is removed within a five day timeframe.

​Council will investigate claims of illegally dumped rubbish and try to identify the offender. Offenders caught illegally dumping rubbish will be ordered to remove the rubbish and may be issued with a fine of up to $400. Serious offenders may also be prosecuted under the Litter Act 1979 with a maximum penalty of $30,000.

Maintenance issues

Maintenance issues on public property are the responsibility of Council. You can report a maintenance problem online. The online service saves you time, and allows you to track progress and receive notification when the job is completed. You can report on:

  • Maintenance issues such as a broken park bench, or a blocked toilet

  • Rubbish: Illegally tipped rubbish or overflowing litter bins; missed or late rubbish collections, etc.

  • Public transport, parking and roading issues

  • Graffiti in the community

  • Dogs wandering off-leash — Dog control

Remember, Council is only responsible for issues related to Council property such as parks, community facilities or venues, roadside or public spaces, and yes, the old 3 Guys site.

To report something that is causing an immediate risk to the safety of a person or property, always phone Council on 09 301 0101.

Graffitti - reporting and removal

Council provides a removal service for graffiti visible from the roadside or footpath when it is on a fence, wall, building, garage or roller door, or public property owned by Council or any other highly visible areas.

​​How to make a report

Report to council online and upload a photo to help Council locate it.

​If the graffiti vandalism is offensive (racist, obscene or using offensive symbols) and you want it removed within 24 hours, call Council on ph 301 0101.

Graffiti may be reported directly to the Council’s service provider Tag Out Trust on ph 826 4276 or emailed to info@tagout.org.nz. It is strongly encouraged that graffiti vandalism also be reported to NZ Police to help them get a picture of local criminal activity.

Homelessness / Drunk & Disorderly behaviour

We aim to treat all our community members with compassion as we balance the needs of business owners and shoppers in the mainstreet with the human needs of community members who may find themselves homeless or with addiction issues.

​​The Avondale Community Policing team works as a collective to provide long-term solutions to such issues. Sometimes our patience is required.

If you or your business are affected by homelessness or nuisance behaviour on the mainstreet, please contact:

​Community Constable, Meika Campbell
Email Meika.Campbell@police.govt.nz
Phone 302 6400

Mb 021 192 5181

​For complaints of a more serious but non-emergency nature, call 105 or lodge your complaint online. For emergencies, call 111.

Contacting other business or building owners

If you need to get in touch with another business or building owner, the Avondale Business Association holds most contact details. Phone our Manager, Cynthia Crosse on mb 027 367 4400