The Hollywood Theatre
Built in 1915, this neo-classical building at 20 St Georges Rd, Avondale, is the oldest cinema still showing 35mm films in Auckland.
The Hollywood Cinema's main hall was constructed in 1924 when an original wooden cinema building was moved next door.
The building was the first cinema to be constructed in Auckland and was first named the Avondale Town Hall. Films were initially screened in the older, timber building which remains on the site.
From 1930 to 1946 the building was known as Hayward's Town Hall Pictures. During that period the cinema was run by the Hayward family which was part of the famous Fuller-Haywards theatre circuit.
The eight metre, two storey cinema is constructed of brick and block masonry, while the elegant facade features decorative plasterwork features and columns.
Under new management since 2015, The Hollywood hosts classic, cult, revival and marathon screenings as well as selected concerts and events.
For a line up, check out
Parking Options: Please respect our local businesses and do not park in 5 minute zones outside Neelam Superette (22 St Georges Rd) or Super Saver Food Mart (38 St Georges Rd).
Aerial view of Avondale's Hollywood Cinema